A National Science Foundation (NSF) grant will provide support to select full-time students from U.S. institutions to attend the co-located NAMRI | SME 48th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC48) and the 2020 ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC2020) to be held at University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, on June 22-26, 2020.
Awardee Registration Deadline:
March 20 (1st round) and April 3 (2nd round), 2020
April 15, 2020
The 2020 online application portal has been set up.
- All applications for the student support award should be made through the online portal. Applications submitted in any other way will not be considered for the award.
BEFORE beginning on your online application form you should have the following two items ready to upload:
- Student Statement: In 150 words, or less, please identify and explain the broader impacts of your current or proposed research, particularly as it addresses some of the challenges that manufacturing faces. [Note: You will be required to paste this statement into the appropriate text box in the online application].
- Signature Form: This form must be printed out, signed by the student and their advisor, scanned into a PDF, and uploaded along with the online application. The application will be considered incomplete without this form uploaded.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Do not register for the conference if you are applying for this NSF Student Support. Awards will directly cover the registration fee and the lodging accommodation. In other words, this is not a process where you pay for registration and lodging and the travel award reimburses you. The costs will be managed directly, so that students never have to carry these charges. The early bird author registration deadline is April 15, 2020. Hence, if you do not receive one of these awards you will still have time to register for the conference at the “early bird rate.”
Posters on NSF-sponsored research are highly encouraged and should be submitted by the same deadline as all other posters (February 28, 2020).
Before applying, please note that to qualify for the grant you must (no exceptions):
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at a U.S. college or university,
- Attend the entire conference (Monday to Friday), and
- Attend the Early Career Forum organized by ASME/MED and NAMRI|SME.
Student Travel Award Contact
Prof. Arif S. Malik
The University of Texas at Dallas
Phone: 972.883.4550 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- We anticipate making 78 Student Support Awards.
- The Student Support Award will pay for a student registration and lodging for the entire conference. A student awardee (or their advisor, school, research project) must pay for travel and incidental expenses.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students from groups that are historically underrepresented in manufacturing.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who have not previously received a Student Support Award.
- If you are planning to apply for a Student Support Award, then wait to register for the conference until you are informed of an acceptance decision. This notification will be made before the conference “early bird” registration deadline (April 15, 2020).
- If you are planning to attend the conference, and apply for a Student Support Award, you may be able to reserve a hotel room early to secure a spot (check the hotel booking policies). If you learn that you have been accepted for a Student Support Award, you may be able to cancel your hotel reservation without any cost (check the hotel booking policies). Most U.S. hotels do not charge you until your stay has begun, and most offer no-penalty cancellation up to 48 hours prior to the beginning of your stay (check the hotel booking policies).
- You must be a full-time student at a U.S. university or college to be eligible for a Student Support Award. i.e., you must be studying in the United States.
- Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for the Student Support Award.
- Post-doctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply for the Student Support Award.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who are presenting their original research at the conference: i.e., making an oral presentation or poster presentation.
- A student’s research advisor must endorse the application.
- The application deadline will not be extended. No exceptions.
- No late applications will be considered. No exceptions.