A National Science Foundation grant will provide support to select full-time students from U.S. institutions to attend the co-located NAMRI | SME 47th North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC47) and the 2019 ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC2019) to be held at Penn State Behrend’s School of Engineering, Bayfront Convention Center, Erie, PA, on June 10-14, 2019.
Awardee Registration Deadline:
March 15 (1st round) and March 29 (2nd round), 2019
April 5, 2019
The 2019 online application portal has been set up.
- All applications for the student support award should be made through the online portal. Applications submitted in any other way will not be considered for the award.
BEFORE beginning on your online application form you should have the following two items ready to upload:
- Student Statement: In 150 words, or less, describe your view of the broader challenges facing manufacturing in your area of research, and how your work addresses these challenges. In other words, identify and explain the broader impacts of your research. [Note: You will be required to paste this statement into the appropriate text box in the online application].
- Signature Form: This form must be printed out, signed by the student and their advisor, scanned into a PDF, and uploaded along with the online application. The application will be considered incomplete without this form uploaded.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Do not register for the conference if you are applying for this NSF Student Travel Support. Awards will directly cover the registration fee and the lodging accommodation. In other words, this is not a process where you pay for registration and lodging and the travel award reimburses you. The costs will be managed directly, so students never have to carry these charges. The mandatory author registration deadline is April 5, 2019. Hence, if you do not receive one of these awards you will still have time to register for the conference at the “early bird rate.”
Posters on NSF-sponsored research are highly encouraged and should be submitted by the same deadline as all other posters (February 28, 2019).
Before applying, please note that to qualify for the award you must (no exceptions):
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at a U.S. college or university
- Attend the entire conference (Monday to Friday)
- Attend the Early Career Forum held at the conference on Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
Student Travel Award Contact
Prof. Johnson Samuel
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Phone: 518.276.3682 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- We anticipate making 78 student travel awards.
- The student travel award will pay for a student registration and lodging for the entire conference. A student awardee (or their advisor, school, research project) must pay for travel and incidental expenses.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students from groups that are historically underrepresented in manufacturing.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who have not previously received a Student Travel Award.
- If you are planning to apply for a student travel award, then wait to register for the conference until you are informed of an acceptance decision. This notification will be made before the conference “Early Bird” registration deadline (April 5, 2019).
- If you are planning to attend the conference, and apply for a student travel grant, you may be able to reserve a hotel room early to secure a spot (check the hotel booking policies). If you learn that you have been accepted for a Student Travel Award, you may be able to cancel your hotel reservation without any cost (check the hotel booking policies). Most U.S. hotels do not charge you until your stay has begun, and most offer no-penalty cancellation up to 48 hours prior to the beginning of your stay (check the hotel booking policies).
- You must be a full-time student at a U.S. university or college to be eligible for a Student Travel Award, i.e., you must be studying in the United States.
- Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for the Student Travel Award.
- Postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply for the Student Travel Award.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who are presenting their original research at the conference: i.e., making an oral presentation or poster presentation.
- A student’s research advisor must endorse the application.
- The application deadline will not be extended. No exceptions.
- No late applications will be considered. No exceptions.