Thanks to the generous support of the National Science Foundation (NSF), we have temporarily re-opened the application portal for NSF-Sponsored Student Support Awards that will pay the entire conference registration fee for NAMRC49 / MSEC 2021!!
Application instructions and eligibility information can be found on:
The University of Cincinnati’s NAMRC / MSEC website: https://ceas.uc.edu/events/namrc-msec-2021/info/student-support.html
Be sure to get your application in now! This is a limited-time opportunity. Applications will be accepted until April 20, 2021, with award notifications made as applications are received!
NSF Student Support Contact: Prof. Arif Malik (firstname.lastname@example.org )
A National Science Foundation (NSF) grant will provide support to select full-time students from U.S. institutions to attend the co-located NAMRI | SME 49th North American Manufacturing Research Virtual Conference (NAMRC49) and the 2021 ASME Manufacturing Science and Engineering Virtual Conference (MSEC2020) June 21-25, 2021.
Awardee Registration Deadline:
April 5, 2021
April 16, 2021
The 2021 online application portal has been set up.
- All applications for the student support award should be made through the online portal. Applications submitted in any other way will not be considered for the award.
BEFORE beginning on your online application form you should have the following two items ready to upload:
- Student Statement: In 150 words, or less, please identify and explain the broader impacts of your current or proposed research, particularly as it addresses some of the challenges that manufacturing faces. Do not simply cut-and-paste an abstract from your paper or poster! [Note: You will be required to paste this statement into the appropriate text box in the online application].
- Signature Form: This form must be printed out, signed by the student and their advisor, scanned into a PDF, and uploaded along with the online application. The application will be considered incomplete without this form uploaded.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Do not register for the conference if you are applying for this NSF Student Support. Awards will directly cover the registration fee. In other words, this is not a process where you pay for registration and the travel award reimburses you. The costs will be managed directly, so that students never have to carry registration charges. The Early Bird author registration deadline is April 16, 2021. Hence, if you do not receive one of these awards you will still have time to register for the conference at the “early bird rate.”
Posters on NSF-sponsored research are highly encouraged and should be submitted according to the published schedule.
Before applying, please note that to qualify for the grant you must (no exceptions):
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at a U.S. college or university,
- Attend the entire conference (Monday to Friday), and
- Attend the Early Career Forum organized by ASME/MED and NAMRI/SME
Student Support Award Contact
Prof. Arif S. Malik
The University of Texas at Dallas
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
We anticipate making more Student Support Awards than in prior years. So, apply today!
- The Student Support Award will pay for a student registration for the entire conference.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students from groups that are historically underrepresented in manufacturing.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who have not previously received a Student Support Award.
- If you are planning to apply for a Student Support Award, then wait to register for the conference until you are informed of an award decision. This notification will be made before the conference “Early Bird” registration deadline (April 16, 2021).
- You must be a full-time student at a U.S. university or college to be eligible for a Student Support Award. i.e., you must be studying in the United States.
- Postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply for the Student Support Award.
- In the selection process, preference will be given to students who are presenting their original research at the conference: i.e., making an oral presentation or poster presentation.
- A student’s research advisor must endorse the application (see instructions for Signature Form on previous page).
- The application deadline will not be extended. No exceptions.
- No late applications will be considered. No exceptions.